Trust House Ltd

History of "The Top Pub"

Click to enlarge
   


1859 - 14 April

The founder of Carterton, Charles Carter, (acting as agent for The Small Farms Association) sells the site to Edward Fellows. It is presumed that Fellows built the hotel, or had it built, in 1860, making it the oldest hotel continuously on the same site in New Zealand.

1860 - 4 July

Edward Fellows sells the building to Henry William Rotermund, Licensed Victualler, for £25 (Pounds - $NZ50, ignoring inflation).

1866

William Hammerich appears to have owned the hotel from 1866 until 1891. He may have been the licensee from 1866 until 1868

1868 - 31 January

Rotermund (Head Ann?) to Lidey

1868 - 1869

Licencee, Mrs Thomas

1878 - 1883

Licencee, John Quinn, who died in the hotel

1891

Licencee William Hammerich. (again?)

1892 - 1900

Charles Rogers

Click to enlarge

1898

Charles Rogers renovates the interior.

1902

C.E.Thompson

1902 - 10 October

A chimney fire endangers the building.

1905 - April

Thomas Lorimer

1906

Thomas Lorimer dies. (His widow remarries A.J. Tally.) The hotel is owned by C. E. Thompson Trustees

1906 - 7 May

Licencee, Mrs Clara Smith. Hotel owned by Miss Norah McCarthy

1909 - 4 May

Henry Collins. The hotel is owned by Mrs Firth

1911 - June

John Robertson (Lessee)

1911 - 26 July

Edgar Bushby

1912 - 1 May

James Eaton, trading as Eaton and Crow, Lessees

Click to enlarge

1912 - 9 August

Sven Polson (who also operated the Morison's Bush Hotel)


Click to enlarge

1916 - 4 May

Alfred Goodwin

1917 - 11 May

James Meikle

1919 - 24 September

Henry Joseph Kelliher

1920 - 25 June

John Henry Hills. The hotel is owned by the Estate of Mrs Firth

1921 - 29 September

George Everitt

1922 - 5 May

Charles Edward Cutts

1923 - 29 November

Frederick William (or Whittington) Green

1924 - 4 August

Kathleen Gawne (who also owned the freehold)

1925 - 30 December

The freehold is transferred to Francis Sidey, a merchant of Wellington.

1926 - 20 September

William Hugh Long

1927 - 21 November

Herbert Farmer

1928 - 20 July

William McFarlane


Click to enlarge

1928 - 8 October

Ernest John Nash

1929 - 9 September

Frederick Henry Rennie

1930 - 12 November

The freehold is transferred to Sarah Downes

1931 - 6 November

Cyril Henry Perry.

1932 - 22 December

Margaret Aloysuis Baxter

1933 - 19 August

Stanley Roy Baker

1934 - 5 October

Frank McKeller

1935 - 10 May

Thomas Gregory

1935 - 12 October

William John Davidson

1936 - 6 May

John de Putron Manson.

1937 - 22 March

The freehold is transferred to George Alfred Downes

1938 - 21 October

Arthur John Allison

1939 - 2 February

The freehold is transferred from George Alfred Downes to Alice May Allison

1939 - 29 June

Maurice Alexander Campbell

1940 - 18 June

Dorothy Jessie Campbell.

1941 - 12 May

John (Jack) Rowlands, who was known to be a bookmaker (taker of illegal bets).

1945 - 28 March

The freehold is transferred from Alice May Allison to John Rowlands

1948 - 10 May

Thomas (Tommy) Samuel Blanchard.

1948 - 9 July

The freehold is transferred from John Rowlands and shared, four fifths to John Hugh (Hugh) Marshall and one fifth to Charles Robert Williamson

1948 - 24 August

Hugh Marshall (trading as District Hotels Limited) takes up Williamson's share.

1950 - 20 September

The lessee is Robert (Bob) Fleming Crawford.

1952 - 13 May

Patrick and Oey Spratt. Ex-jockey Pat was a horse owner and trainer. These are prosperous times, with the constuction of the Rimutaka Tunnel.

1956 - 20 March

The freehold is transferred from District Hotels Limited (Hugh Marshall) to Patrick Spratt Stucco is put on three sides of the hotel.

Click to enlarge

1973 - 24 September

Thomas (Toss) Alwyn Wilfred Calton and Shirley Ann Calton

1974 - 4 November

Barry Gilbert Jones and Dallas Iris May Jones

1977 - 17 March

Agnes Philomena Browne and Edward Leonard Noel Browne. (Agnes runs the Hotel and Noel is a taxi driver)

1979 - 14 September

Patrick Spratt takes back the lease

1981 - 4 May

An ex-policeman, Kenneth William George Brannigan and his wife Joan

1982 - 8 November

Perry James Skinner (an earthmoving contractor) and Sylvia Skinner

1984 - 23 November

The hotel is bought by John Fleming Edmonds, a broker from Auckland and Michael Edmonds, a solicitor from Tauranga.

1984

Kevin A.Burt (a former fireman) and Julie A. Burt

1985 - 17 July

Charlene and Laurie Byers

1987

Jim (an ex-policeman) and Dawn Keogh. Running pubs is a traditional occupation for ex-policemen, with their early retirement and their skills in handling unruly people.

Click to enlarge

1988 - 22 August

Joe and Rose Ryan (Joe came from Blackfellow Creek, Australia)

1995 - 15 March

Hotel bought by James Joseph Ryan and Rosemary Ceceila Ryan

1997 - 7 April

Michael Shale buys the hotel and leases it to Graeme Rosewarne.
They have the driveway shifted from the northern side of the hotel to the southern side, add a new porch to the main bar, build the northern verandah, with French doors off the bar, remove the coal range and its chimney from the kitchen,
install a new beer chiller, and a new bar (builder, Ron Churcher).

2000 - 29 August

Michael Shale takes over the licence. Graeme Rosewarne moves to Australia.

2001

Michael Shale has a new toilet block built, and the gaming room relocated to the south-west corner of the hotel, replacing an office and a small lounge.

2001 - 15 October

The Greytown Hotel is a national finalist in 'The Best Country Hotel' Awards of the Hospitality Association of New Zealand.

 

2004 - 31 May

Garry and Maureen O'Keeffe bought the Hotel from Michael Shale

 

2005 - 14 September

The hotel is bought by Nicholls & Pearce Ltd and Nathan Williams

 

2008 - 14 January

The hotel is bought by Trust House Ltd, Masterton