Greytown Hotel

History

Greytown Hotel is one of New Zealand’s oldest surviving hotels. Located in the historic town of Greytown, this Victorian building is more than 150 years old and is perfectly positioned within easy traveling distance to local wineries, galleries, outdoor adventure activities and local attractions.

Read here about Greytown Hotel’s intriguing past.

Timeline

1859 – 14 April The founder of Carterton, Charles Carter, (acting as agent for The Small Farms Association) sells the site to Edward Fellows. It is presumed that Fellows built the hotel, or had it built, in 1860, making it the oldest hotel continuously on the same site in New Zealand.
1860 – 4 July Edward Fellows sells the building to Henry William Rotermund, Licensed Victualler, for £25 (Pounds – $NZ50, ignoring inflation).
1866 William Hammerich appears to have owned the hotel from 1866 until 1891. He may have been the licensee from 1866 until 1868
1868 – 31 January Rotermund (Head Ann?) to Lidey
1868 – 1869 Licencee, Mrs Thomas
1878 – 1883 Licencee, John Quinn, who died in the hotel
1891 Licencee William Hammerich. (again?)
1892 – 1900 Charles Rogers
1898 Charles Rogers renovates the interior.
1902 C.E.Thompson
1902 – 10 October A chimney fire endangers the building.
1905 – April Thomas Lorimer
1906 Thomas Lorimer dies. (His widow remarries A.J. Tally.) The hotel is owned by C. E. Thompson Trustees
1906 – 7 May Licencee, Mrs Clara Smith. Hotel owned by Miss Norah McCarthy
1909 – 4 May Henry Collins. The hotel is owned by Mrs Firth
1911 – June John Robertson (Lessee)
1911 – 26 July Edgar Bushby
1912 – 1 May James Eaton, trading as Eaton and Crow, Lessees
1912 – 9 August Sven Polson (who also operated the Morison’s Bush Hotel)
1916 – 4 May Alfred Goodwin
1917 – 11 May James Meikle
1919 – 24 September Henry Joseph Kelliher
1920 – 25 June John Henry Hills. The hotel is owned by the Estate of Mrs Firth
1921 – 29 September George Everitt
1922 – 5 May Charles Edward Cutts
1923 – 29 November Frederick William (or Whittington) Green
1924 – 4 August Kathleen Gawne (who also owned the freehold)
1925 – 30 December The freehold is transferred to Francis Sidey, a merchant of Wellington.
1926 – 20 September William Hugh Long
1927 – 21 November Herbert Farmer
1928 – 20 July William McFarlane
1928 – 8 October Ernest John Nash
1929 – 9 September Frederick Henry Rennie
1930 – 12 November The freehold is transferred to Sarah Downes
1931 – 6 November Cyril Henry Perry.
1932 – 22 December Margaret Aloysuis Baxter
1933 – 19 August Stanley Roy Baker
1934 – 5 October Frank McKeller
1935 – 10 May Thomas Gregory
1935 – 12 October William John Davidson
1936 – 6 May John de Putron Manson.
1937 – 22 March The freehold is transferred to George Alfred Downes
1938 – 21 October Arthur John Allison
1939 – 2 February The freehold is transferred from George Alfred Downes to Alice May Allison
1939 – 29 June Maurice Alexander Campbell
1940 – 18 June Dorothy Jessie Campbell.
1941 – 12 May John (Jack) Rowlands, who was known to be a bookmaker (taker of illegal bets).
1945 – 28 March The freehold is transferred from Alice May Allison to John Rowlands
1948 – 10 May Thomas (Tommy) Samuel Blanchard.
1948 – 9 July The freehold is transferred from John Rowlands and shared, four fifths to John Hugh (Hugh) Marshall and one fifth to Charles Robert Williamson
1948 – 24 August Hugh Marshall (trading as District Hotels Limited) takes up Williamson’s share.
1950 – 20 September The lessee is Robert (Bob) Fleming Crawford.
1952 – 13 May Patrick and Oey Spratt. Ex-jockey Pat was a horse owner and trainer. These are prosperous times, with the constuction of the Rimutaka Tunnel.
1956 – 20 March The freehold is transferred from District Hotels Limited (Hugh Marshall) to Patrick Spratt Stucco is put on three sides of the hotel.
1973 – 24 September Thomas (Toss) Alwyn Wilfred Calton and Shirley Ann Calton
1974 – 4 November Barry Gilbert Jones and Dallas Iris May Jones
1977 – 17 March Agnes Philomena Browne and Edward Leonard Noel Browne. (Agnes runs the Hotel and Noel is a taxi driver)
1979 – 14 September Patrick Spratt takes back the lease
1981 – 4 May An ex-policeman, Kenneth William George Brannigan and his wife Joan
1982 – 8 November Perry James Skinner (an earthmoving contractor) and Sylvia Skinner
1984 – 23 November The hotel is bought by John Fleming Edmonds, a broker from Auckland and Michael Edmonds, a solicitor from Tauranga.
1984 Kevin A.Burt (a former fireman) and Julie A. Burt
1985 – 17 July Charlene and Laurie Byers
1987 Jim (an ex-policeman) and Dawn Keogh. Running pubs is a traditional occupation for ex-policemen, with their early retirement and their skills in handling unruly people.
1988 – 22 August Joe and Rose Ryan (Joe came from Blackfellow Creek, Australia)
1995 – 15 March Hotel bought by James Joseph Ryan and Rosemary Ceceila Ryan
1997 – 7 April Michael Shale buys the hotel and leases it to Graeme Rosewarne.They have the driveway shifted from the northern side of the hotel to the southern side, add a new porch to the main bar, build the northern verandah, with French doors off the bar, remove the coal range and its chimney from the kitchen,install a new beer chiller, and a new bar (builder, Ron Churcher).
2000 – 29 August Michael Shale takes over the licence. Graeme Rosewarne moves to Australia.
2001 Michael Shale has a new toilet block built, and the gaming room relocated to the south-west corner of the hotel, replacing an office and a small lounge.
2001 – 15 October The Greytown Hotel is a national finalist in ‘The Best Country Hotel’ Awards of the Hospitality Association of New Zealand.
2004 – 31 May Garry and Maureen O’Keeffe bought the Hotel from Michael Shale
2005 – 14 September The hotel is bought by Nicholls & Pearce Ltd and Nathan Williams
2008 – 14 January The hotel is bought by Trust House Ltd, Masterton
2009 Trust House Ltd spend $1.1 million on full restoration of the buildings and land. The south extension of the restaurant and conference room is added, a new kitchen installed, gaming room is relocated to back of the building, new foyer bar created, stucco removed from building exterior and car park sealed.
2015 – 20 April

2016- 6 October

The business is purchased by Publican Tony Murphy  and his wife Ursula they lease the hotel from Trust House Ltd.

Tony and Ursula Murphy purchase the hotel from Trust House Ltd.